Thursday 3 September 2015

Welcome to Ed's Undiscovered Scotland

Welcome to the world of Ed's Undiscovered Scotland! I hope you enjoy travelling and photographing landscapes as much as I do, if so, you will love seeing some of the photos and hearing some of the stories on here. This blog documents, with plenty of photos, all my travels around the less well known corners of the Highlands and Islands, plus some familiar favourite locations! I hope it shows you just what a magical and mysterious place the north of Scotland is, and how every type of weather can be dramatic and add its own colours, its own dimensions, from cloudless summer skies to winter white-out, from pale spring sunshine to driving rain and thick mist in autumn, and just about everything in between! I hope you will see why it has become one of my favourite places. It also showcases one of the Highlands' other wonderful attractions, namely the exceptional food and accommodation that can be found in even the remotest settlements. I hope, too, that it will encourage you to see all these places for yourself one day.

The 'Undiscovered Scotland' theme was chosen because I will focus my posts and photos on the less well known beauty spots of the Highlands and Hebrides. There are a number of places in the Highlands- Loch Lomond, the Trossachs, Ben Nevis, Glencoe, the Skye Cuillin, Loch Ness- that have been written about countless times before and appear, for very good reasons I will add, on every tourist's itinerary. I want to show you just how much stunning scenery there is to explore away from the traditional tourist trail; there really is so much choice in the Highlands and Islands, and far more choice than the tourist guides would suggest. These unspoilt, undiscovered beauty spots give you an unparalleled impression of wilderness and tranquility, something that makes the Highlands and Islands such a fantastic escape from busy urban lives. I would even go further to suggest that the most jaw-dropping vistas in the Highlands generally lie some distance from the tourist routes!

Over the next few months, I am planning some trips to explore the less well-known corners of Lochaber, Skye, Lochalsh and Wester Ross, all of which I will write about on here. Hope you enjoy the pictures and hearing of my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment